1. George Washington - Term of Office (1789-1797)
2. John Adams (1797-1801)
3. Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809)
4. James Madison (1809-1817)
5. James Monroe (1817-1825)
6. John Quincy Adams (1825-1829)
7. Andrew Jackson (1829-1837)
8. Martin Van Buren (1837-1841)
9. William H. Harrison (1841)
10. John Tyler (1841-1845)
11. James K. Polk (1845-1849)
12. Zachary Taylor (1849-1850)
13. Millard Fillmore (1850-1853)
14. Franklin Pierce (1853-1857)
15. James Buchanan (1857-1861)
16. Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865)
17. Andrew Johnson (1865-1869)
18. Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877)
19. Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881)
20. James A. Garfield (1881)
21. Chester A. Arthur (1881-1885)
22. Grover Cleveland (1885-1889)
23. Benjamin Harrison (1889-1893)
24. Grover Cleveland (1893-1897)
25. William McKinley (1897-1901)
26. Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909)
27. William H. Taft (1909-1913)
28. Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921)
29. Warren G. Harding (1921-1923)
30. Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929)
31. Herbert Hoover (1929-1933)
32. Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945)
33. Harry S. Truman (1945-1953)
34. Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961)
35. John F. Kennedy (1961-1963)
36. Lyndon B. Johnson (1963-1969)
37. Richard M. Nixon (1969-1974)
38. Gerald R. Ford (1974-1977)
39. Jimmy Carter (1977-1981)
40. Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
41. George Bush (1989-1993)
42. Bill Clinton (1993-2001)
43. George W. Bush (2001-2009)
44. Barack Obama (2009-2017)
45. Donald Trump (2017-2021)
46. Joe Biden (2021-present)
- Four Presidents were assassinated - Abraham Lincoln (1865), James Garfield (1881), William McKinley (1901), John F. Kennedy (1963).
- Four died from illness while in office - William H. Harrison (1841), Zachary Taylor (1850), Warren G. Harding (1923), Franklin D. Roosevelt (1945).
- Attempted assassinations - Andrew Jackson (1835), President-elect Franklin Roosevelt (1933), Harry Truman (1950), Gerald R. Ford (1975), Ronald Reagan (1981).
- Impeached or resigned - Andrew Johnson (impeached in 1868 by the House, not convicted in the Senate), Richard Nixon (resigned in 1974 amid impeachment proceedings), Bill Clinton (impeached by the House in 1998, not convicted in the Senate in 1999), Donald Trump (impeached by the House in 2019, not convicted in the Senate in 2020 -- impeached by the House for a second time in 2021, not convicted in the Senate in 2021).
- Three of the first five Presidents died on July 4 after leaving office (Adams, Jefferson, Monroe).
- Calvin Coolidge was born on July 4.
- John Quincy Adams became the only ex-President to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Andrew Johnson became the only ex-President to serve in the U.S. Senate, and made an emotional return in 1875 to the scene of his impeachment trial.
- Grover Cleveland was the only President to serve two non-consecutive terms.
- Two Presidents married while in office - Grover Cleveland and Woodrow Wilson.
- Two sons of Presidents were elected - John Quincy Adams (son of John Adams) and George W. Bush (son of George Bush).
- Benjamin Harrison was the only grandson of a President.
- Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest President at age 42.
- William H. Taft was the only ex-President to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Truman's inauguration was the first one televised.
- John F. Kennedy gave the first live televised press conference, six days after taking office.
- Ronald Reagan was the only actor.
- At age 70, Donald Trump was the second-oldest man elected and the wealthiest, with an estimated fortune of $3.7 billion.
- At age 78, Joe Biden was the oldest man elected.
Regular version of this page
[ The History Place Main Page | American Revolution | Abraham Lincoln | U.S. Civil War | Child Labor in America 1908-1912 | Best of Ansel Adams | U.S. in World War II in the Pacific | John F. Kennedy Photo History | Apollo 11 Lunar Mission | The Rise of Hitler | Triumph of Hitler | Defeat of Hitler | Hitler Youth | Timeline of World War II in Europe | Holocaust Timeline | Photo of the Week | Speech of the Week | Books on Hitler's Germany | History Videos | Hollywood's Best History Movies | Advertise ]
Copyright © 2023 The History Place™ All Rights Reserved